Overblog Follow this blog
Edit post Administration Create my blog

Real estate law questions from Ruth Baker

March 17 2017 , Written by Ruth Baker

Q: I own a condominium in Indiana and rent out my basement. It's a shared entrance. Do I need almost any renters or permit ins?

I live in this condominium. I have roommates in the basement who do not have a written lease with me. Simply verbal.
Attorney Response Alexander Florian Steciuch

A: Your geographical area, it really is going to depend. There is no statewide renter system or database. All rental units are required by some cities of their jurisdiction to be registered. For example, Bloomington requires that your property inspected should you be renting out the property or rooms to others and be filed with all the city. Is your condo part of a housing association or condo association? They might have more rules regulating renters that you would need to abide by in case you are a part of such an association. As an overall guideline, it is always a smart thought to own insurance to cover harm to the property which is bright of any renters to possess renter's insurance in case there is burglary, theft, fire, etc.. Finally, get your renter's lease agreement in writing. In some situations in every case having something signed and in writing although its needed in order to have an enforceable contract depending on the duration of the lease is preferable over a verbal contract. It provides the court something in case you ever have to litigate to analyze and helps protect everyone involved.

Q: If the town getting ready to deem the house condemned due to the sepetic can I ask for a continuance on a case eviction

They have not fixed them and have 5 health breaches. Town is taking on those to court . Plus defamation of character to us. They lied to the town saying we're threating them and they want escorts to property. There is a ton of thing here but I dont need to invest money just to be put out on the basis of the disapprobation.
Lawyer Reply Ali Ebrahimzadeh, Esq

A: Why really would you intend to stay in a condemned house? Additional information are mandatory to provide an expert analysis of your problem. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You're able to read more about me, my qualifications, awards, honours, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice site. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in these regions of law: Contracts & Business, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This response doesn't constitute legal advice; make warranties, guarantees, or any predictions; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Q: I reside in a house made of two flats the complete house is infested with bedbugs what should I do?

I've an apartment in New York, and Ive had bed bugs for the past 1.5 years due to the bottom apartment in my building having them. My landlord has had someone who is just a local bug individual come out 3 times and didnt fix the issue. Ive told her about it many times on the phone and in person. She only asks me and that I keep because Im frightened she will kick me out paying. What should I do? Ive had to block my entire flat of and live simply within my living-room and sleep on the floor.
Lawyer Answers Ali Ebrahimzadeh, Esq.

A: Observe: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/health-topics/bedbugs.page Additional information are crucial to provide a specialist analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my qualifications, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice site. I practice law in these areas of law in CA, NY, MA, and DC: Education Law & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Business. This solution doesn't constitute legal advice; make any forecasts, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship

Q: My sister and that I together own the home by which we both live. Can hospitals and doctors put liens on the house for bills?

She isn't fully insured and has a medical issue which may become expensive. Is my equity (and hers) vulnerable, even should they wait until the sale of the house?
Lawyer Solution Vincent J. Bernabei

A: If suit files and obtain a judgment against your sister, the judgment becomes a lien on any real property owned by your sister in the county where the judgment was entered. Typically, claims of creditors will attach just to the debtor's interest in the property, not to the co-owner's interest in the property. She survives you, and should you and your sister possess the dwelling with rights of survivorship, then the whole equity, minus a statutory homestead exemption, may be subject to lenders' claims. In the event she is survived by you, then the lenders' claims to the real property are extinguished. In the event you do not own the property with rights of survivorship, then the claims of your sister's lenders will still attach to her undivided one-half fascination with the home. There are legitimate ways to preserve advantages in the face of potential future claims, so you should talk to a lawyer.

Q: Could I sell the property i purchased at a tax sale that is private to one of the orignal owners youngsters who wants to reside there

Lawyer Solution Dr Kenneth V Zichi J.D.

A: You intend to iN THE EVENT THAT you own the property you're able to sell it to any adult. You mention a tax sale that is PRIVATE nonetheless. To my knowledge there's really no such thing. Taxes are owed to the government, and the authorities cannot sell its tax lien 'in private'.... You may not own the home? Have you simply purchased some kind of lien? I'd reveal the paperwork to a local attorney that is accredited to determine everything you own before you try and sell it! This reply is offered for informational purposes only and doesn't represent legal counsel or make an attorney/client relationship. I'm licensed to practice in Michigan only. In the event that you're feeling you need legal counsel, please seek competent local legal assistance!

Q: My brothers and I own a house that was my grandmothers. None of us live in the house.

Medicaid assistance will be most likely needed by among my brothers, it seems him being a partial owner when he dies I 'm concerned about medicaid recovery may not hinder that yet. It is my understanding we own this house as "tenancy in common". What are our choices for this particular property in order to avoid some support or potential medicaid recovery from medicaid?
Lawyer Solution Dr Kenneth V Zichi J.D.

A: There CAN be recovery against YOUR BROTHER'S share of the home in the event that you possess as Tenants in Common. This might cause a forced sale or other 'issues' for you and another common owners, as the people who paid for your brother's care (the citizens) work to regain the money that they paid. The only '100% easy and positive' way to deal with this is always to buy your brother's interest out then, and at its fair market value for him to utilize that cash until it runs out to pay for his own care. You'll be able to look at some 'fancy' medicaid qualifying trusts and they MAY work, but in the end, your brother using his own money for his care is the only method to ensure 100% medicaid to pay won't attempt to recover against his assets.

Q: When you inherit a home that was in a trust does the tax basis change?

The home is currently owned by the trust. My mum is the trustee and I'm to get your house upon her passing. I've a copy of the trust and will. Am I able to set the title within my name without raising the tax basis of your house?
Attorney Solution Richard Samuel Price

A: In my opinion that you will be talking about the assessed value for property taxes. A transfer of a property from parent to child may be excluded from reassessment for property tax purposes. For the primary residence, there's an exclusion that is endless. For all other property, the exception is limited to the very first $1M of value. You should file an application for the exclusion with the tax assessor within 36 months of the transport. In a nutshell, that implies that the property taxes should stay exactly the same.

Real estate lawyers - Toronto

Q: My neighbor has a camera pointed directly at my front door and bedroom. How do I ask them to change the angle of it?

Weld County Colorado. The camera provides no surveillance of the owners property.
Lawyer Answer Tristan Kenyon Schultz

A: You can simply ask the angle to shift. At issue is if the camera use is an improper invasion of your privacy. You'll find nothing improper with a private celebration pointing a camera in front of the house of someone's while an attorney would have to review all of the specifics. This may be clear in the event the camera gets the ability to view beyond what a standard passerby on the road could see. Colorado along with the US have really weak privacy laws (esp. When compared with continental Europe).

Q: I bought vacant property in CO. The property is 50% sellers and 50% his deceased fathers. Just how do I get the property 100?

The Colorado land was deeded to the seller's father and mother. His mother subsequently used a warranty deed which states she is the only owner to deed it to her son. The county has info online that states the property is 50% the dead father's and 50% the son's. I do not live in Colorado along with the seller resides in Nevada. The seller merely told me before his mom deeded it over to him, that the property was put into a trust but this info just isn't recorded in the county. Any way to record this trust?
Lawyer Answer Tristan Kenyon Schultz

A: You've got two alternatives. First, you are able to wait for the dead father's estate - this enables you to either produce a claim for the property or negotiate with all the brand new beneficiary. The downside of this approach is the fact that Colorado permits up to 3 years for an estate to be probated (and at least 1 year to get a creditor--you--to begin probate). In the alternative, you seek various legal tactics to gain complete possession of the land. You'll need to contact a real estate attorney in the county where the property can be found to give an accurate assessment of how far better carry on, since there are too many potential issues and answers.

Comment on this post